If, like me, your kids a messy little shits and cover anything white in an array of stains that just won’t budge (some of which you do not wish to know the origin of), before you chuck them out – recycle them and tie dye the shit out of them (possibly literally). Me and Eloise spent the other weekend making these and it was a huge hit minus the pink dye EVERYWHERE.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
Empty water bottles (ones with sports caps work best)
Protective sheet (we used a bin bag)
- First, tie the elastic bands tightly around random parts of the fabric or twist them into a ball and cover it in bands, the tighter they are the better the effect.
- Mix the dye with warm water and salt, we didn’t use any particular quantities with the dye I just went with what looked alright. To give you an idea of how much I used, I have at least half of each colour left and I filled 7 bottles worth up.
- Go crazy! But not too crazy because I ended up having to bleach the grouting between the tiles in my kitchen from pink dye splash back.
- Leave the dye to settle for about 45 minutes. The longer you leave it the stronger it’ll be.
- Google told me to run the bits under the tap but it is so much easier to dump them in the bathroom and use the shower attachment. Use cold water because warm will wash the dye out more than necessary and we don’t want that. Keep doing this until the water runs clear.
- Take the bands off and chuck them in the washing machine on a regular wash. I put mine in at 40 degrees and bunged a colour catcher in and they were fine. It’s probably best to wash them a few times with dark colours or make sure you put a colour catcher with them just in case. I don’t want to be the cause of any laundry disasters!
And voila! Awesome clothes that were once destined for the bin. Winner.
Check out my other DIY posts here.